I am an Alcoholic Addict; and I need your help!
- DON’T lecture, blame, or scold me. You would not be angry at me for having TB or Diabetes. Addiction and Alcoholism is a disease too…
- DON’T throw away my drugs and alcohol, it’s just a waste because I can always get more.
- DON’T let me provoke your anger. If you attack me verbally or physically, you will only confirm my bad opinion of myself, I hate myself enough already.
- DON’T be inconsistent and make empty threats. Once you have made a decision, stick to it.
- DON’T believe everything I tell you, it may be a lie. Denial of reality is a symptom of my disease. Moreover, I am likely to lose respect for those I can fool too easily.
- DON’T let me take advantage of you or exploit you. Love cannot exist for long without the dimension of justice.
- DON’T cover up for me or try in any way to avoid the consequences of my choices.
- DON’T meet all my obligations, it may avert or reduce the very crisis that would prompt me to confront my issues. I can continue to deny my issues as long as you provide an automatic escape from the consequences of my choices.